Monday, March 9, 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel

Everyone knows it’s been a rough couple of years for Seattle sports fans.


But, dare I say, it looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. 


The University of Washington Men’s Basketball team’s outright win of the Pac-10 regular season crown capped what could possibly be one of the best sports months for Seattle in years.


The Huskies haven’t won the Pac-10 outright since 1953, so it was quite the feat. Now I am not picking UW as a ‘Sweet 16’ team, but the team showed a lot of pluck coming back from a less-than-stellar start of the season to claim the title. And more importantly the accomplishment gives Seattleites something to be proud of.


The Huskies title came hot on the heels of the Seahawks finalizing a free agent coup, the signing T.J. Houshmandzadeh. ‘Housh’ as I’ll refer to him since I cannot spell his name, was the NFL’s premier free agent wide receiver, a position the Hawks were in desperate need of an upgrading from last season. And the Hawks stepped-up and got their man. With the addition of Housh, the Hawks return to their rightful spot among the frontrunners to win the NFC West. Ah, it feels good to say that. Especially, after slogging through a 4-12 ‘swan song’ season for former head coach Mike Holmgren who really deserved a better send-off. 


And yes, I am going to list Ken Griffey, Jr.’s return as a plus for the Seattle sports psyche. I know, I know…I previously posted on this very blog, that I am less-than-stoked by the prospect of Griff’s return. But this is not about me…It is about Seattle as a whole. And from that perspective, I do think Griffey’s return is good thing. It is a ray of hope for Mariners fans with little else to look forward to in the coming season. It is good to see some sentiment infused into the big business of professional sports. Griff may not be a 50 HR, 100+ RBI, gold glove winner anymore. But he made the M’s what they are today and helped weave the team into the fabric of Seattle. For that, he does deserve a return-trip to Seattle and a chance for a ‘swan song’ of this own.


Though the 206 is still without a professional basketball team, the city does get to usher-in the world’s game this month. Major League Soccer has come to town as the Seattle Sounders FC. From what I’ve heard all tickets are sold out, just showing that even in these tough times, Seattleites are hungry for good sporting events. Personally, I prefer to play soccer over watching it, but I am gonna try to score a pair of tickets to see what it’s all about.


So bring-on spring!


March madness actually means something to Seattleites again. There is a reason to watch the Mariners and with the NFL draft coming soon, the Seahawks could end-up as more than just a contender for the NFC West title, they could be mentioned along with the words: Super & bowl, as they should be.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I'm reading this after the fact, but I did enjoy your take on the ray of sunshine the Dawgs brought to the 206. Also a big fan of T.J. deciding on Seattle as well. Still iffy about our defense, and ambivalent about the Sounders, but whatever.