Friday, March 27, 2009

Call it the ‘Facebook’ effect…

A while back I was having a discussion with a friend who had recently joined Facebook.


“I just don’t get it…Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t care if you are brushing your teeth or just got back from the gym.”


Being a Facebook fiend, I replied, “Yeah, you just don’t seem to get it.”


“It’s about keeping in touch. It’s about keeping tabs on people you otherwise would have forgotten about. It’s about being social.” Are just a few of the descriptions as to why folks use Facebook and find it so addicting.


So here I stand, as an admitted Facebook fanatic and staunch defender, saying “I just don’t care anymore.”


Call it what you like, Facebook Fatigue, FBOD or simply a desire to interact with someone (here’s a novel idea) face-to-freaking-face.


I was one of those: JR. is (insert pointless action here)-people. Updating my status via my cell, checking my email for updates. I now see how lame I must have seemed to well, normal people.


But I’ve had enough.


Granted, I have yet to delete my Facebook account, but I have turned-off all notifications from Facebook and don’t plan on logging-in for the foreseeable future.


Have I gone mad? Did someone piss me off? Am I too broke to afford internet?


No, to all of the above. I am just feeling a bit overexposed.


In these days of Twitter, Facebook, IMs, texts and cell phones. The world is never more than a buzz or annoying ringtone away.


I recently saw a PBS documentary “Alone in the Wilderness” about a man who retired to remote Alaska and lived on his own for 30 years.


I was jealous. As I sat on my couch, laptop in perched just below the view of the TV and cell phone resting nearby, I decided that something had to change.


The feeling of being constantly, “On” is draining. Which is not to say that my cell is blowing-up or that my inbox is overflowing, but sometimes being disconnected just sounds nice.


Then I came to a realization, I can turn the shit off.


Which I now do.


Email get checked in the morning as my company blocks personal email access. I check again at lunch because I really have nothing better to do. And I check it for the last time when I get home from work. Anything that comes in after that, can wait til the next day.


My cell phone is turned-off at 8 PM, assuming I am not out and about.


So am I becoming some kind of hermit? Well, by the hyper-connected (unhealthily so) standards of today, yes I am.


Maybe I am a throwback to the good old days…I am not that old, but old enough to remember a time before e-mail, cell phones and even (Gasp) pagers.


Somehow life went on back then.


I think it’s time to simplify. (A sentiment I seem to be repating in this here blog) Take a little time to enjoy the world and people around. Look up from the digitized representations of ‘being social’ and actually say “Hello,” to someone.


I am no technophobe and not even that outgoing. But something tells me that if you get out and enjoy life…the call of the laptop/cell phone may be considerably lessened.

6 comments:

sweetb said...

I'm glad your trip to Portland to visit me had some good influence. Down with Facebook and long live Portland!

babsrambler said...

Right on man! If it's not made of wood, don't trust it!

Susan said...

Ahh..so this explains your recent exit-stage-left update on FB! I respect that, nice post.

Why, this whole social networking "craze" fascinates me. Because I don't think it's a craze, but here to stay in some form or fashion. (Disclaimer: I'm not yet a "normie" - still an addict enjoying the buzz. Which may be an introvert thing. As in, I can get connected AND be alone. Cool. Though interestingly, after a few connections, I crave the face-to-face more than ever! Hmm. Gets me thinking our addictions want to teach us something..but that's another post..)

Just how will it evolve, especially globally, to bring people together? This being my hopeful perspective vs that it will keep us apart!

As always, discovering our personal balance - through awareness - happens on the individual level. So thanks for the reminder to live life hardest away from our gadgets. After all, our beloved technology should cast a wider net, not become one.

With that ramble, I for one (outside of your regular crew) will miss your funny faces and hearing "your voice" on FB. Guess this means along with keeping up with your blogyssey (you like?), bring on our next coffee or dinner! I think you owe me, yes? Look forward to it.

PS: You remember pagers? Shocking!!!

PPS: I've never posted a blogger comment before, so if you get yet another pic of me with a poodle, well, sorry : )

Ryan said...

Hmm, I like it. And that dude in Alaska was straight up awesome times. Of course, he videotaped himself doing everything, so I suppose in the irony of ironies, he was the original facebooking updater. At least to whomever got the video posts. What a poser.

Homer Cook aka JR. said...

Since starting my FB hiatus, I have been getting alot more phone calls/text messages. Which has lead to more 'real world' interactions. Which is great...

I love it when a plan comes together!

Simon said...

Hey there, nice post. I just made a similar post on my blog too. I think at some point there will be a backlash, being unplugged will become the new cool. The unplugged club where people drink coffee and talk face to face will be where it's at.

Having written that, we can't ignore the fact that you have no idea who I am, and that I'm just some random guy on "the internets" (As Bush called it) who happened to swing by your blog. Connectivity gone wild indeed.