Friday, February 27, 2009

The seven stages of grief as they pertain to Ken Griffey, Jr.

The Kid is back. Yet somehow I am not doing cartwheels...

To add a lil insight into my perspective on this topic, I compare Griffey leaving the Mariners to being dumped. Griffey decided that Seattle was no longer good enough for him and/or he could find better options elsewhere. So he left.

That stung.

So I am writing this from the perspective of a jilted fan...a jilted fan who, for the most part, has no interest in dealing with parties who deem him unworthy. (Ask anyone who's dumped/slighted me...I don't talk to or acknowledge them. I am an ass like that.)

With that said, it may be easier to understand why I am less-than-stoked to welcome Griffey back with open arms. Why stroke the ego of someone who's already said and acted in ways that say 'Seattle, you aren't good enough'?

1. Shock- I can still remember when I heard that a recliner-in-the-clubhouse Griffey decided he was too good for the M's. The reasoning at the time was that he wanted to return home. To re-visit the team of his father. (Never mind the fact that the M's had signed his then over-the-hill father to a contract earlier in Junior's career.) Griffey wanted return to the clubhouse he literally grew-up in. He wanted to return to his roots. I couldn't believe it. How could he?! How could he leave the team that was so symbiotic with him. As much as Junior had built the M's into a legit contender, the M's had given him his break. I couldn't fathom how someone could turn their back on those who made them. It was a bitter lesson, but one I am glad I learned early.

2. Pain & guilt- I am not too proud to admit it. I loved Ken Griffey, Jr. He was, in his prime, the best baseball player I have ever seen play the game live. The thought of Junior no longer patrolling center field simply hurt. How can you replace him? Mike Cameron (while a serviceable ballplayer) is no Ken Griffey, Jr. Why couldn't we have accommodated his requests? He is the reason Safeco was built...how could we not give him what he wanted? Maybe it is our fault, we should've done more to keep him.

3. Anger & bargaining- (mostly anger) Ok, if we re-sign (purportedly pre-roids) A-Rod and keep Buhner in right, will that keep you happy, Junior? You ego-centric bastard, who do you think you are?! We made you! Remember when you were 19 and loved playing 'for the fun of the game'? You two-faced Son-of-a-bitch!

4. Depression- Cincinnati? Really?! Have you been there? Oh crap, you grew-up there. Now you are gone. And we no longer have A-Rod or Randy Johnson. What's wrong with us? Do we smell? Hello...?

5. The upward turn- We've still got Ichiro...the ageless wonder! Maybe a return to the house that Junior built will provide fuel for a Griffey renaissance. Maybe a return to All-star form. If nothing else, Griffey's return will sell tickets. (I know I will attend a game simply because Junior is back.)

6. Reconstruction & working through- Jeremy Reed, hurt. Yuniesky Betancourt, error-prone. Adam Jones & George Sherrill…to Baltimore for an over-rated POS. God Damn you Bill Bavasi. Speaking of reconstruction...how're those injuries Grif? Wait, what's that? You are coming back to Seattle?! Seriously?!!! Flippin' sweet! Welcome home! Oh wait...you are also looking at Atlanta, so that you can do what? Watch little league games? Uh, well family does come first. But what about those folks who made you a household name? Those folks who still followed your career even as it spiraled-down the toilet into 'over-rated'-ville? What did we ever do to you?! (OK, I am pretty much stuck at stage 3, but screw it.)

7. Acceptance & hope- So here we are. Stuck with a washed-up version of Griffey's former self. For what it's worth, I'd much rather have a washed-up Griffey don an M’s cap over Garrett Anderson. Maybe Griffey can teach the other youngsters in the clubhouse how-to appreciate what they have while they have it. Hopefully his return to the M's will re-light a sputtering fire and we'll get one last glimpse of greatness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I myself am not a follower of baseball, but man do I remember the Griff. There was an electricity in the Seattle area in those days that would cause a man to put his whole screwed up life on hold, even if for only a few hours to watch 'em play. Jr was a large piece of that.

I can't say that i'm attached, but I am curious to see how this thing unfolds in our city. With the loss of a basketball team (i've already forgotten the name) and the loss of a great Seahawk coach, maybe this is exactly what this city needs-either a new spark, or a little drama.

You can bet i'll be following this story like the Paparazzi followed princess Di.