Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Getting Taken Down a Notch.

This whole writing thing is pretty interesting.


To be honest, the only reason I do it is because people read it. And some folks have gone so far as to say I am, wait for it, good at it.


Then again, when I think about it, when does anyone tell someone when they are bad at something? I know I meet plenty of morons on a daily basis and am sure to say ‘Thank you’ even after receiving horrible service from someone who managed to bungle the most mundane of tasks.


So needless to say, I take these compliments, no matter how well-intended, with a grain of salt.


But this past week, I had a J.D. from Scrubs moment. Just as I was busting-out a few posts, actually acting on inspiration as it hit me and feeling like I was hitting a groove…


I read a couple of blog posts from friends of mine that knocked me on my ass.


I’ve got quite a list of blogs listed to your right there, some of which are there because they: refer traffic to my blog, can damn hell ass write or are just friends.


I read a couple posts from folks who can just plain write. In fact, the posts were so good, that I thought about just giving-up. Seeing such talent, made me examine what I had been putting out there. And it paled in comparison.


Don’t get it twisted: I am stoked to have such talented friends around me. Seeing such great thoughts expressed so stylistically is just impressive.


I’ve never really thought of myself as a ‘writer.’ I had to take English 101 twice and only took one class in literature. I am good at imparting what is in my head and putting it on paper. That does not a writer make.


I got my degree in journalism on charm, not skill. *It was a Public Relations degree, so I think it’s appropriate.


Even though I have a journalism degree, I've never been into researching, fact-checking or editing. Ask any of my professors/editors from college, or read these here rants, and you can see why the journalism thing never really panned-out. But I do have stuff to say and a pretty strong voice when sitting behind a keyboard.


I am to a journalist/writer, what Jon Stewart is to cable news anchormen. Entertaining, but not to be taken too seriously.


And I am OK with that. The world needs Jon Stewart.

*BTW, Stewart is much smarter and is far more educated on the topics he lampoons than yours truly.


So here I am, aged 30 years, a tech support guy who manages to tap-out a rant every now and again, usually while hung-over.


Why keep doing it? Uh, well…


Why did I start in the first place? Uh, well…


I may not be the most eloquent, but I am easily annoyed and fairly observant. So there will be fodder for these pudgy digits of mine.


The next Mark Twain or Hunter S. Thompson I am not, but whatever.


Life is much easier when you give in to mediocrity.

1 comment:

babsrambler said...

Dude, you need to read a few of the blogs you haven't seen. The REALLY bad blogs. Read a few lines of, "what I bought a the grocery store this week" and, "what the clouds reminded me of today" and let us not forget, "things my baby puked on" and you will remember WHY people read YOUR blog: to see your viewpoint on whatever crosses your mind and to have an opportunity to further the discussion. Keep it going, people are reading (even if they aren't all commenting).