Friday, June 26, 2009

Did you hear about ... ?

So the talk of the town has been Michael Jackson’s death.


I won’t lie, I was glued to the interwebs once I caught wind of the King of Pop’s possible demise.


I was hitting refresh on my browser and had multiple news sites open looking for the latest update on MJ. *That’s Michael Jackson, not Michael Jordan, for the record.


I could hear everyone in my cube-farm-of-an-office chatting, trying to get the latest information about the King. *That’s Michael Jackson, not Elvis.


But as I was clicking refresh and debating if I was going to give-in and credit TMZ.com as a news source, I came to a realization.


Does it really matter?


Not in the slightest.


Michael Jackson was a hell of an entertainer. And I count myself as a fan. He made some timeless music that brought joy, if only for a few minutes at a time, to millions of people. So that, I appreciate. The other stuff, I coulda done without.


But what struck me as I was hitting refresh on Foxnews.com (yes, I was reading Foxnews.com, I am ashamed of myself, too) it dawned on me.


Instead of having multiple browser windows open trying to get the latest what was essentially celebrity gossip, I should be researching the Iranian Elections or examining how the Obama Administration is handing North Korea.


I mean, North Korea has freaking NUKES pointed at the US and a leader who is talking a lot of shit about using them. I think the possibility of nuclear war should be slightly more important than well, Michael Jackson.


Then there’s the little matter of Iran. I have waffled back and forth on this issue, from it’s none of our business, to we should intercede to enact the true will of the Iranian people. But no matter my stance (there may be another post on this topic specifically) democracy is trying to take a big step forward in Iran and it is being stifled mercilessly. Sadly no one knows about it, because TMZ and Perez Hilton aren’t tweeting updates directly to people’s cell phones.


Sigh…


The world lost a great entertainer yesterday.


But I think the world loses a lot more everyday, when people choose to live in ignorance.

2 comments:

babsrambler said...

Anyone with a decent head on their shoulders will agree that international issues should trump celebrity gossip; this fact should not really need to be brought up. Sadly, in this country, it does need to be brought up. These days it is so hard to get people to care about anything other than the trivial that it takes the death of a superstar to make the obvious...well, obvious. I salute you, Mr. Homer, for taking the opportunity to point out your own (and our countries) over-attention to status and shallow topics. While I am SICK of hearing MJ on the radio everywhere I go, I am happy to hear the commentary on the man's life. He trully was a uniter--not a divider--of pop music. In my opinion, he did more to bring 'black music' and 'white music' together than anyone else in our 'History' (get it). Anyway, the point is that while we should all be paying attention to things like international affairs, we can also take this time to realize that no matter how strange Michael Jackson was, he did bring two races slightly closer together with his life. Even if his behavior was bizare and possibly illegal, we could all agree that his behavior was bizare and possibly illegal. That is a fact of the man's life that should not be overlooked.

Anonymous said...

"I've been a victim of a selfish kind of love" -MJ.....totally genius