Monday, October 8, 2007

Are those low-fat Biscuits and Gravy?

This year I turned 28, which meant I officially left my mid-20s.


Such a milestone got me to pondering. (Which is what one does in an over-priced kitschy bakery…it makes you look deep.)


So as I sat in said kitschy bakery eating breakfast by myself, I was dogged by one simple question:


How old is too old for biscuits and gravy?


I mean at what point does one have to trade-in Sausage McMuffins and Black Coffee for Bran Muffins and Green Tea?


When you're a youngster, you can have whatever you want, no matter how terrible and it's chalked-up to "Oh, it's OK, he's a growing boy."


However, the only growing I've seen in recent years is in my waistline and credit card debt.


It makes me wonder, is this middle age?


I mean, I still keep a schedule similar to my younger days in college. I am more often at bars during the week than I am absent and I still wake-up dragging a bit from the night before. And I do own an mp3 player, a smart phone, multiple computers and know what Blog means…I am not that old.


But I digress, back to the biscuits and gravy.


They are truly one of the great breakfast foods.


I am pretty sure that they will be off of the menu after my first heart attack.


And yes, I am planning on a heart attack.


Don't worry, this isn't a nutritional diatribe in the vein of reputedly pudgy ex-President Bill Clinton who recently got full-calorie soda banned from public schools.


It's more a question of responsibility versus having fun.


I am not the first to ask the question or wrestle with the issue.


I just hope that the biscuits and gravy analogy hits home. As something that was enjoyed freely and undervalued as a youth and is sorely missed and over-valued as an adult.


So here I am at the crossroads of 401Ks and Xbox 360s.


How is one supposed to make sense of it all?


I feel like the late-20s are the Grimace to the early-20s Ronald McDonald.


One is the star of the show. The one everyone remembers.


And the other just has a large mid section.


So am I too old for biscuits and gravy?


Probably.


Will I order them the next time I am at the kitschy bakery?


Hell yeah.


Maybe I'll walk.


After all, the bakery IS only 6 blocks away.

1 comment:

E said...

I would think that Biscuits and Gravy dont only remind us of better days. The concept that even though the senses are fading, the liver aint as young as it used to be, and the credit card companies have switched from friendly to yellow colored letters saying pay us more than you make this month is nice because you have all this useless IKEA crap and an XBOX to show for it.
The key to living an unhealthy lifestyle is to give no crap. Take a lesson from Grimace. He was rotund, grossly misshapen, and purple for god sake. But I would bet his real voice is like Big Al from the Chapelle show. You better believe theres a reason why they call him Grimace.
So eat your biscuits and gravy and have your "I'm way to old to have drank as much as I did last night" experiences. Just make sure you realize you're doing these things with the experience of a "G", not a clown.