Sunday, May 8, 2011

So long...

So it has been quite a while since I’ve felt the compulsion to tap away at this keyboard.

But it’s been one of those weeks…

One of highs and lows, one of gain and loss.

I lost a family member this week. And as I’ve noted before, I am not very close to my extended family, as I live out on the west coast while the rest of the family resides in the Midwest.

But I lost my aunt, a woman I had only spoken to on a few random holidays and actually seen a handful of times in my life. Yet for some reason, her death really hit me hard.

She was a nice woman, the caretaker of the family…but I can’t tell you what she liked, what her favorite color was or even if she was a coffee or tea kinda person.

What I can tell you, is that she was the kind of compassionate, give-til-it-hurts person, that I hope to one day be. And although we were barely more than strangers to each other, she had an effect on my life that I only came to realize in her death.

The world lost one of the kindest people I’ve ever had the opportunity to meet. I never once told her that. And I think that is what is really bugging me.

So as I sit here on Mother’s Day, typing this post…not planning on seeing my Mother (My brother and I sent her flowers/candy) I note another lesson. One that’s a recurring theme for me.

Make the time for those who are important in your life. A 10-minute call every now and again or even a card can make a world of difference. The best folks get the least recognition. Don’t wait for holidays and birthdays…make appreciating those you love or have an effect on your life a daily thing.

So Aunt Janice, I never said it to you, but “Thank You for being you. It is people like you who restore my faith in humanity. I am sorry that I was blind to this during your life, but even in death, you are still a ray of sunshine in a cold, dark world that will miss your warmth.”

No comments: