Thursday, December 25, 2008

Thoughts on Christmas '08

As I sit at home today, alone on Christmas, a victim of the recent and on-going ‘snowpocalypse’ I still can’t be mad.

I freakin’ love snow!

It’s now been over a week since I was last behind the wheel of my car. Truthfully, I have been a bit stir-crazy.

However, the time alone has given me the chance to evaluate life and the holidays.

The isolation and simple work it takes to get out and about only makes the opportunities to spend time with people even sweeter.

See, my family never did a ‘Big Family Christmas” as all of our extended family is back east. So I was never privy to the aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins crowding around the dinner table that are a staple of the ‘traditional’ Christmas.

So my extended family has become close friends. And as I’ve come to appreciate this year, my extended family is pretty damn big.

I am one lucky SOB.

I could go about naming names, but being me, I am sure I’d mistakenly omit a name or two and the last thing I want is to slight anyone. So if you think you may be on my list…rest assured, you are.

In these dark economic times, it’s easy to focus on the glass being half-empty. (To be honest, it’s my nature to view things in such a way.)

But I think Christmas is there to allow us to see the glass as being half-full.

Very few holidays being people together like Christmas. What better time to realize what you have going for you?

Family, friends, health…all of which are taken for granted most of the time.

Just do me a favor while sitting down to dinner tonight, as you fill your wine glass or open your beer, take a mental snapshot of the thoughts running through your head. I bet there’s nothing about mortgages, job security, etc.

They most likely will be thoughts of family, friends and fun.

These are the things that matter. Remember that.

And while I am a lil too broke to give any gifts this year, I can offer something I’ve found to be of much greater value when given to me, friendship.

Merry Christmas to you.

No comments: