Thursday, November 20, 2008

Baby steps to getting green IV

It’s been a lil while since the last incarnation of my (self-proclaimed, yet unable to keep to the schedule) monthly series. But that doesn’t mean the getting green has ceased.

While I am starting to run short on ideas, (hint, hint- post comments with ideas) I do still have one more to toss-out in this edition.

This month’s step is: Changing to green cleaning products and ceasing to use anti-bacterial cleaners.

This is a big personal step. As I am a certified Neat Freak. I am willing to admit that the cleaning aisle of the store is more exciting for me than it should be.

But as I have done some research, I see the importance of using biodegradable products. And these products do just as good a job as the non-green products. In fact, most anti-bacterial products are no more effective at “anti-bacterializing” than regular cleaners. *This is due mostly to improper use and unreasonable expectations for use…who keeps their counter wet with cleaner for 60 seconds? The cleaner evaporates faster than that. All these anti-bacterial cleaners do, is give the illusion of cleanliness, which is pretty pointless. I give the illusion of being cool, but you see what that’s worth.

While green cleaners may cost a little more, think about the last time you bought glass cleaner…I’ll give you a sec…You can’t remember, can you? So what’s an extra $1-2, for something you buy once every blue moon?

I am also looking into a steam mop to replace my Swiffer Wet Jet. As the Swiffer, while good at its job, is pretty darn wasteful. Steam is a natural, highly effective cleaner, it both disinfects and cleans. And water is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Swiffer cleaning fluid.

*One caveat: I will still use Lysol in the bathroom. Just has to be done. (These are baby steps after all.)

No comments: