Monday, November 24, 2008

1-11 never sounded so good.

So I recently read an update about the-team-formerly-known-as the Seattle Supersonics. As I saw their record was 1-11, it dawned on me, I still care.

Not about the team or the season. I was just happy to see that they are so terrible.

It’s petty, but it’s how I feel. Seeing the horrible record is like hearing that an ex is dating a fat dude, sweet vindication.

See, I view the loss of the Sonics as a bad break-up where I got dumped. The Sonics have moved-on, with a new suitor who they deemed superior to me.

So I did the Sonics, the way I do ladies who’ve deemed me unworthy, I swore-off all contact. Why maintain a relationship that does lil more than remind you of what you’ve lost?

Any highlights flashed on TV prompt a change of the channel. I don’t even peek at the scores in the paper. I can’t even name their starting five.

I toyed with the idea of boycotting the NBA altogether. But that was too extreme. I love basketball too much. That’d be like swearing-off all women, just because it didn’t work-out with one.

So Go Celtics! (And secretly, Go Blazers!)

Am I happy to hear the-team-formerly-known-as the Sonics are 1-11? Hell yes.

Am I happy to hear they got booed? Yup.

Do I wish them any future success? No freakin way!

I made it to one Sonics game last season. We showed-up late and the ticket-taker was kind enough to note: “We’re down by 22, just so you know.” I only got to stick around for a quarter before my friends decided they were bored…I didn’t want to leave.

I mention the story, to illustrate a point.

Seattle loved the Sonics. I didn’t hear any boos at that game or any others. No matter how dark times got, we were in. Even though *we were down 22 points, I still wanted to be there. To support MY team.

I previously wrote that should the Sonics leave, the NBA probably wouldn’t return to Seattle. I was wrong. The NBA will return. Seattle is too big and a gateway to Asia. Meaning there is too much money to be made for a re-branded Sonics (Seattle got to keep the name) franchise to lie dormant.

So much like dating, there are other fish in the sea. I just hope that when the NBA does make its way back to town, that The Sonics will beat the crap out of the team-formerly-known-as.

*Please note, I still use ‘we’ in reference to a team that no longer exists.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I hear you dude, but I can't bring myself to watch the NBA. Not while Stern still resides. Not yet.

Anonymous said...

I myself am not an NBA fan, but I have watched this thing upfold nonetheless. And I must say...I agree with this blog more then any other. I'll even be the fat guy that dates your ex-chick.

To the team-formerly-known-as...I sincerely mean this: Fuck you and a merry Christmas.