Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sonics, OK.

Seeing as the Sonics may have played thier final game at Key Arena, I thought I'd chime-in on the topic of relocation.

In case you are out of the loop or don’t care enough to pay attention I’ll get you up to speed.

It looks like Sonics owner Clay Bennett lied to NBA Commissioner David Stern regarding his intention to move the team to Oklahoma City. The lie came to light in email correspondence between Bennett's ownership group and Stern. The emails were obtained by The City of Seattle as part of a lawsuit to force the Sonics to play-out their lease (through 2010) at Key Arena.

Local folks still holding hope of keeping the Sonics in town see this as a possible break. Stern has been one of one Bennett’s biggest backers as he (Bennett) and the City of Seattle battle lease and re-location issues out in court. Local fans hope this breech of trust will sway Stern and possibly get him to back away from supporting Bennett.

I really don’t see that happening.

There is simply too much money to be made in Oklahoma City.

The NBA has been itching to get a team back into that market since they saw the reception the New Orleans Hornets received when they played there post-Hurricane Katrina. The games were sell-outs. The Key Arena hasn’t sold-out since the Clinton Administration. There aren’t too many entertainment options in Oklahoma City and the Sonics would be the prime sporting option.

NBA basketball isn’t just a game, it’s also big business.

I’ve got to hand it to Bennett, he played the “poor old country bumpkin” role to perfection. He managed to out-wit the City of Seattle and Sonic fans. His plan to save money and re-build the roster with cheaper/younger talent is pure genius. Not only is he saving money up-front, he’s also fielding a team so bad that no one in Seattle cares anymore. If he had his way, the team would get so bad that we’d offer to buy-out the lease to get rid of the losers.

I can’t blame Bennett for lying. He’s a savvy businessman and he knows how to play the game. I am not saying its ethical, but there is a reason the man is a millionaire.

At this point, the relationship with local government is beyond repair. Both sides are so entrenched that compromise is no longer an option. I think the City of Seattle is more embarrassed with being out-maneuvered by this ‘Yokel’ from Oklahoma, which has led to the steadfast refusal to listen to anything that comes to the table.

Trust is important when doing business and Bennett’s intentions have been suspect from the start. I don’t see how the City of Seattle could enter, in good faith, any negotiations with Bennett after he lied to the City and Stern: who was his most important ally.

Bennett has seemingly had one foot out of the door since he bought the team. How can the city enter into any agreements with a man who has clearly lied to everyone from the start?

I am a Sonics fan. I remember the Wheedle, Xavier McDaniel and the great run in the 90’s. I loved Nate McMillan’s last year as head coach. I really do not want to see the Sonics go.

But at this point I am just tired of hearing about this soap opera. I am a sports fan. I don’t care about back room deals, arena funding or the business side of basketball.

I just want a local team to root for.

Maybe life in post-Sonics Seattle won’t be too bad…I hope to never find out.

No comments: