Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lil things go a long way...

The spring birthday season is in full swing. And as I reach my late 20’s nearing the dreaded Big 3-0, I am starting to get the big question: “So when are you gonna settle down?” which is usually followed by “When are you gonna have some kids?”

I’ve been lucky enough to avoid these questions in the past, mostly because of my adamant stance against having kids of my own and being very vocal about it. There was also the fact that I lived in my parent’s basement until I was 26, which doesn’t scream “ladies man.”

So kids aren’t in the cards for me, I am fine with that. I love flat-screen TVs, drinking and having spending money way too much.

But that is not to say that I don’t like them. I feel about kids the way I feel about Portland, they have their good points, but I can only stand either for a few days at a time.

Which brings me to my point, sitting here at Starbuck’s I witnessed an interesting phenomena. The lil buggers just seem to bring a smile to everyone’s face.

As I sit here, drinking my coffee, reading the Seattle Weekly doing my best to look hip. A 3-year-old hops-up from his table and is totally in awe of the guy washing the windows. Everyone took notice as the kid just stood at the door bright-eyed with his jaw nearing on the floor.

What was interesting was that the same expression washed across everyone’s face, a slight smile.

I am not sure what it is that produces this response, but we all seem to be wired the same. It was fascinating to see even nod-politely-but-don’t-speak-to-me-Seattleites take a break from their own lives to enjoy this little guy.

Then to accentuate the point, a lady at the table next to me shows-up with a newborn. The 3-year-old, who had been ignoring pleas from his dad to leave the window washer alone, caught sight of the newborn.

And the same half-smile everyone flashed at him earlier, appeared on his face.

I don’t think this ‘smile response’ is some social nicety that is learned as we all grow-up. It looks to be hard-wired from the jump. Read: the 3-year-old reacted the same way the 53-year-old did.

Nodding and telling everyone that their baby is cute even though it looks like a beet red version of the Michelin Man is the learned social nicety.

I recently heard about a program being instituted at an elementary school in North Seattle involving newborns. A new mom visits a class once a month and brings-in her newborn. The class then asks questions and tracks the growth/progress of the baby, kind of becoming pseudo siblings/parents.

I thought the whole thing sounded kinda hokey. But proponents of the program say that kids who participate become more socialized and empathetic than those who don’t. And judging from the reaction of the 3 year-old today, I am inclined to agree.

Not to romanticize the idea of kids. I have been puked- and pee’d-on. But this is simply my opus that although I am opposed to the idea of kids of my own…I don’t hate them.

So there’s really no point to this post other than to point-out an interesting phenomena that brought a smile to my face.

Not a bad way to start a Saturday.

2 comments:

Dick Todhunter said...

Zero comments makes me first among commentaters. (yeah, I spelled it that way).

So let me think about this a moment. On average one would think, and I must admit that I have not read all of your blogs, that an actual woman would come to mind before progeny. I could be mistaken, but I don't think so. Sadly enough that (lack of fertile woman, or any other woman) puts you in good company.

I think you should expound to women who are looking for a fatherly kinda guy (before hairlline receeds).

Best of luck in your quest for the fertile, nubile young lass. You and my three childless sons.

Grandfather to be (perhaps before I die).

Mary said...

Kids, Anti-Portland, Starbucks - you are trying to push Becca's buttons aren't you!?