Monday, November 5, 2012

Sidewalk chatter...


Well, as I was out roaming around town, enjoying some time off and “stay-cationing” it up. I saw something that I wanted to share.

I was out, enjoying one of my favorite day-off treats on Lower Queen Anne, Breakfast at Peso’s.

For those who are familiar with the place, you probably know it’s a popular bar (and a bit of a meat market, at that). But I don’t go there for the eye candy or margaritas, I try to get there before 10 AM.

Not that I am raging alcoholic, but because they serve an amazing breakfast which is pretty much half-off before 11 AM.

It’s an enjoyable dichotomy- raging bar by night, mellow and delicious-food-serving by morning. I am finding in my old(er) age, that bumpin’ clubs are less and less inviting and a chill spot with good food is much more my speed.

So I enjoyed some good food, with a good friend and proceeded to head-out and continue recovering from the overindulgences of the night before.

When we came across a gentleman, who inspired me to pound away at this very keyboard.

It was a very quick interaction, no more than a minute or two. But it was a minute that meant a lot to me. Themes of kindness, patience and the tenacity of the human spirit were all brought front and center.

I spotted the fella crossing the street about a block away from me. He was an older gentleman, who seemed to be dealing with some sort of a muscular disorder: multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy. He was doing his damnedest to cross the street as quickly as he could…all the while his body seemed to be fighting his desires with every step.

I saw the fella and honestly, took pity. I am not proud to admit it, but it’s the truth.

Then I thought to myself- How would I do were I placed into his situation? And the answer was not one I liked.

Eventually, the gentleman made it across the street and our paths crossed. When he muttered something our way.

My buddy and I, both still admittedly foggy and hung over, did what most Seattleites would do, kinda nodded towards him and started on our merry way.

Then the gentleman, reiterated his muttering. And the look in his eyes stopped me in my tracks.

He wasn’t crazy. He wasn’t trying to bum money. Turns out, he was just looking for directions to Bartell’s.

I could see in his face, which was slightly contorted from the betrayal of his own muscles, his eyes beamed with an expression that said he just needed a little help with a simple request.

So after the third time of placing his request, I discerned what he was saying and was able to direct him to Bartell’s, which was only 2 blocks away.

I still remember the look in his eyes, it reminded me of seeing recent interviews with Mohammed Ali. There was a brightness, a sharpness and an intensity. You can see that the mind is as sharp as any, even if the body won’t allow them to express the thoughts they want to share.

This gentleman was likely just as quick and rational as anyone I’ve met. And to his credit, he was patient with me. Although he did seem to be a bit frustrated with my inability to comprehend what he was asking, I couldn’t tell if the frustration was directed at me, or the situation.

But, and here comes one of the lessons, he was patient enough to see the interaction through. And I’m glad he was.

He headed on his way, as did my buddy and I.

We got back to the car and circled around the block, catching-up with the gentleman who was now crossing the street near where we’d just been speaking.

It had been a good few minutes since our interaction, and this fella had barely made it a quarter of a block. Yet, there he was plogging along, placing one awkward foot ahead of the others, doggedly trying to speed his way across a very busy intersection.

Again, I pondered how I would do were I placed in his shoes. But this time my answer was a bit different.

This experience had altered my perception. The example of patience and perseverance that this fella exhibited really did a lot to remind me of how indelible and amazing the human spirit can be.

He just needed to get to the store. And he was going to make that happen, even if it meant slowly navigating a busy neighborhood or spelling things out for a couple of hung over yahoos.

Never ceases to amaze how something so little, can lead to such a big realization. 

1 comment:

Dig Dug said...

Sometimes it really pays to engage and really be aware of our surroundings. We often avoid this contact to avoid leaving our comfort zone, but if we engaged more often there are rewards to be had!