Thursday, July 16, 2009

I like trains...

As I sit here on my couch watching ‘doomsday central’ aka The History Channel lament the eminent downfall of humanity due to societies’ overreliance on fossil fuel, I was reminded of a ray of hope.


Link Light Rail is opening here in Seattle this weekend!


Being a long-time proponent but only recent user of mass transit, I am excited to see Seattle move in the right direction.


Do I think this initial 13.9 mile stretch of light rail is going to be the cure-all for the region’s traffic woes?


Nope.


But they say the first step is always the hardest one. And Seattle has finally taken the first-step towards a real mass transit solution.


As you can see in the hyperlink above, Light Rail’s tentacles are already beginning to sprout.


And I find the growth or should I say potential growth as exciting as the start of service this weekend.


This initial line is a backbone off of which many lines will grow. The fact that expansion has begun even before the first passenger has boarded a train only proves that theory.


Now that we have a fleet of trains and a base of operations, growing the service is much easier.


I was a fan of the monorail. I even voted for and paid taxes for it. Mostly because I liked the planned service routes. The monorail plan proposed an X-pattern, spreading from Ballard and the U-District on the Northside to West Seattle and Rainier Beach on the Southend, with all lines running through downtown.


I see the same idea coming together with Light Rail, the foundation has been laid with a downtown HUB and a (future) line from the U-District that extends to the Airport.


The prospect of being able to take a train from Ballard to Kent doesn’t seem at-all far-fetched when you see what is already under way.


And this is all West-of-the-lake-centric.


Just think of the possibilities when you add a Seattle-Redmond Line via Bellevue.


I already bus it to the Eastside and have loved the nearly traffic-free ninja-route that buses are allowed to take during the I-90 construction as the solo-commuting masses sweat-it-out.


But my bus, the 550, seems rather underutilized outside of peak traffic hours so rushing to get an east-west line doesn’t seem necessary, yet. Though it would be nice to see some proactive as opposed to reactive planning for once.


So needless to say, I plan on hopping-on the train this weekend like many other folks.


I just hope they plan on coming back, like me.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

It's a start...