Sunday, January 11, 2009

An update on ‘Being Green’

Instead of coming-up with another ‘baby-step’ idea this month, I am going to offer some reviews on some of the changes that I have made.

First-off, is commuting to work by bus…I am loving it! I’ve driven to the Eastside a couple times since getting my bus pass and experienced harsh reminders of how stressful/horrible traffic is. In fact, during the snow of the past couple weeks, I didn’t even touch my car. And shockingly, I didn’t miss it. In fact, the snow even got me to walk (the whole mile +) to and from the bus stop. So not only am I being greener, but also getting a lil exercise.

Next are the green cleaning supplies…and there is a stinker, literally.

Earth Friendly Products Ultra Dishmate- Natural Pear
This product is definitely not a stinker. It’s a serviceable dishwashing detergent. I use the same amount as I would of a non-green detergent and it simply gets the job done. It cuts grease and has a nice scent. It is supposedly pear, but I’d say it’s closer to vanilla.

Arm & Hammer Essentials- Mountain Rain
I have already reviewed this product and find it to not only be equal, but superior to any laundry detergent I have used. It’s pretty heavily scented, which I like, but seems to be quite a black mark among eco-Nazis. *I also still use cold water to wash my clothes, and have seen no ill-effects on the cleanliness of my clothes.

Bright Green Chlorine-Free Bleach
I am indifferent on this product. I cannot say if this product works or not. I have seen no benefits or hindrances to using it. It is twice the price of regular bleach, but is Non-toxic and Biodegradable. I don’t recommend it as it seems to be a non-factor.

Bright Green Toilet Bowl Cleaner- Lemon Scent
I highly recommend this product…if you want your toilet to smell worse than before you cleaned it. I am not sure who formulated this product, but the ‘Lemon Scent’ smells faintly of mold and stale urine. I am not sure about you, but in my book, nothing says clean like mold and stale urine. If you can get past the smell (I can’t) it really is a poor toilet bowl cleaner, as it did little to remove stains or any other of the things that would render a toilet bowl clean. I will note that this product is Biodegradable, which about the only good thing it has going for it.

Ah, I am glad I got that off of my chest.

Please feel free to add a comment recommending some of the better green products you’ve come across or warning against some of the bad ones.

No comments: