Friday, August 1, 2008

Tis the season.

Seeing as we are in the throes of yet another summer wedding season, I have been pondering just that issue: Marriage.
*Not that it’s even a remote possibility for me at the moment. But heading to a wedding every other week, tends to get a dude to thinking.

In my first draft, I tome’d about how I find marriage to be an illogical decision and a poor financial move on top of that. I also questioned why people needed a stamp from the government, their religion and/or their friends for their relationship to be recognized.

Surprisingly these weren’t simply the rants of a perpetually-single, seemingly-chauvinist guy like myself, but sentiments shared by my married/co-habitating friends both male and female.

Then, this past weekend, I actually headed to my first wedding of the season. And I remembered why marriage is such a big deal.

So here’s my newly amended take on Weddings/Marriage:

The wedding is a chance for two people to share their relationship with those they care about. It’s a chance to peek into a one-on-one relationship and see just why each party is so gonzo for each other.

The marriage, while a one-on-one commitment, does take maintenance and having a few folks around to remind the wedded parties why they tied-the-knot in the first place is never a bad thing.

I don’t discount marriage, it’s a great, if not antiquainted, institution. But logical, it isn’t.

That logic point was big hurdle in my mind. But what this weekend hammered home for me was that logic doesn’t always reign supreme. Logic may always be right…but that doesn’t always equate to fun.

For example, logic (my train of thought) would note that marriage is a 50/50 proposition at best which are not very good odds. And the cynic (being me) would note that American society does not foster an environment that rewards long-term commitments of any sort.

Sadly, in this society, marriage is about like buying a car: Enjoyed at first, but easily traded-in once the initial euphoria has worn-off and real costs of the investment are realized.

Despite all of the above, people still get married. And with that there is hope. There are many an upside to tying-the-knot. In marriage, a person is banking-on the best in their partner.

I don’t want to live in an unfeeling world governed by logic. Logic can mitigate risk, but without risk there are no rewards. I had forgotten that.

The wedding this weekend was a much appreciated eye-opener.

So to those of you newly- or soon-to-be weds, I say “Thanks for the invite and Good Luck.”

No comments: