Friday, July 18, 2008

Tuning-out to tune-in

I did something rather out of the ordinary on my way into work this morning.

I turned-off my radio.

I just rolled along in silence.

It was nice.

I can’t remember the last time I totally unplugged and just took some time to think.

I listened to the sounds of tires bounding against the pavement, wind whistling through the cabin of my car and the general nothingness that comes along with driving across I-90 in the morning.

It was refreshing.

Sans the talking heads on the radio, I was able to ponder life. I was able to tackle issues one at a time and contemplate where I stood or how-to resolve each one.

Doing so may seem simple or even trivial, but it hammered home a sad reality to me. I am too distracted and I don't unplug often enough.

And I don’t think I am alone.

In this super-connected world of cell phones, text messages and IMs, it is easy for someone to be caught-up in constant communication. Just look around as you walk on the sidewalk or are driving home, I am willing to bet you see more than one person chatting away or typing feverishly on a cell phone.

Now I admit, I am one of those people. I take after one of my good friends and call people while I am stuck in traffic to pass the time. But I fear that as people become more and more connected they are losing the ability to be alone.

I wouldn’t dream of leaving my house with out my cell phone. I actually feel naked without it. And that needs to change.

I can remember the time before cell phones/texts/email and somehow the world got along. In fact, I remember those times fondly. They were fun…and relaxing.

Perhaps all of this connectivity is good, it cures boredom and offers folks an opportunity to contact people they normally would communicate with. But when you can’t even enjoy a cup of coffee without checking your cell phone at least once, it’s gone too far.

And some of these newer communication mediums are also so impersonal. IMing is not the same as talking face-to-face and text messages seem to have been invented to be mis-read. Seeing people rely so heavily on these forms of communication, I fear the art of the face-to-face conversation may be disappearing.

As a writer and observer, stimulus is needed, it inspires me. But without due time alone to process what I have experienced or formulate an opinion, all is for not.

I worry that people are so intent on keeping themselves occupied, they are missing-out life. I can understand the drive to check the cell phone, as I do it more than I’d like. But I suggest turning the phone/computer/iPod off for a day and taking walk.

Take the time to enjoy the moment, appreciate what you see and think. Let your mind wander and see where it ends-up. I was delightfully surprised by what crossed my mind this morning.

Perhaps you will be as well.

But be careful, after turning everything off, you may never want to turn anything back on.

1 comment:

babsrambler said...

over-conversation is a detriment to communication