Friday, June 20, 2008

Thank you for smoking (that's sarcasm)

Normally I am not a fan of negative liberty.

For those who didn’t waste thousands of dollars on Political Science classes, Negative Liberty is where a person’s rights are imposed upon by another person. Laws are an example of negative liberty, though some laws are good, they do impose restrictions on a person’s actions.

Outlawing smoking is an example of negative liberty.

I like to think of myself as a Libertarian, one who believes in personal liberty and power of choice. I don’t like the idea of government stepping-in on personal matters, which is why I am pro-choice and believe Gay marriage should be legal.

But in some cases negative liberties work-out. And the indoor smoking ban is a great example of this.

And smoking just happens to be the perfect example as it is the topic of this rant.

I HATE SMOKING.

Not that I am opposed to the health risks, I have plenty of bad habits myself, but I just don’t like it. Smoking seems to have no upside.

It’s dirty, and for those who know me, that is a BIG issue for me. It’s expensive, again another issue for a cheap-ass like myself. And it imposes on anyone around you.

At least the act of drinking too much doesn’t affect anyone around you, that is, unless you spill your drink or puke on someone.

But to me smoking is one of the most self-centered acts a person can take part in. Especially when smoking indoors, second hand smoke is proven to harm non-smokers and the sentiment before the smoking ban was “you can go somewhere else.”

Granted the indoor ban has swung the pendulum to the other end of the spectrum, with non-smokers imposing their desire to be smoke-free on smokers. And I do realize it is still an imposition of one’s desires over another’s.

I am not sure which is right. Though I am pretty sure that most everyone is better-off health-wise as a result of the ban. So I am leaning towards the ban.

But even as I was walking across the street I was bombarded with smoke bellowed-out by the guy standing next to me. Which really pissed me off.

I think that smokers should be more aware of their surroundings. Much like driving a car, smoking is a luxury, not a right. If someone drove around willy-nilly with no respect for other cars or pedestrians, they would quickly lose the ability to drive. I think the same restraint should be expressed by smokers.

I do smoke the occasional cigar. And I know they freaking stink. So when I do light-up, I make sure everyone around me is OK with it. I’ve even gone so far as to cross the street if I see a group of people approaching as to be respectful.

I'm just asking for the same respect from smokers. It doesn't seem too hard.

No comments: