Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sleeping-in. And no, this isn't about The Postal Service.

Sleeping-in, it’s a luxury that I had written-off years ago.

As a youngster I couldn’t comprehend how my dad could be up at 5 in the morning everyday. Even on the weekends.

Yet as I entered my mid-20’s there I was, the spitting image of my Dad. Up by 6:30 AM, chores done and ready to hit a coffee shop by 8.

I’ve had a few bouts with unemployment in my short career and even when I didn’t have to be up by any time in particular, I was up early and IMing with my employed friends as they were heading out the door.

Which brings me to my current conundrum. I am now sleeping-in.

Of course, now that I have somewhere to be and face consequences for being late, I, the self-proclaimed King of the Early-risers can’t get out of bed.

I am not sure what it is. Maybe it has something to do with the combination of my weight, body temperature, the density of the foam in my mattress and the down in my blanket but they seem to hit the premium “comfort zone” around 5:45 AM. And it stays in “the zone” for a good hour.

It is pure bliss.

How/Why my otherwise crappy mattress and far too hot blanket seem to harmonize so well at the same time everyday I’ll ever know.

But it is pretty damn weak.

As a part-time insomniac, I relish good sleep. I go to bed every night, but rarely wake-up rested or refreshed, which is why this whole comfort zone thing is really messing with me.

I couldn’t sleep-in to save my life when I wasn’t working, when it didn’t matter. I could snooze all day if I got tired.

But now that I am employed, I need to sleep to be able to do my job or at the very least to avoid looking like that girl from the Addam’s Family.

But “the zone” is bitter sweet. Granted it reminds me that I soon have to leave for a job I moderately enjoy, but it reminds me that I don’t have to leave…just yet.

Some days I’ll trade shaving for an extra 15 minutes in “the zone.” Done deal.

Toss on a sweater instead of getting wrinkles out of a dress shirt? Sure, for an extra 5 minutes in “the zone.”

Skip making lunch today for an extra 10 mins of snoozing? Heck yeah.

All of this bargaining for one enjoyable hour of rest. It’s great.

Just a small reminder that for as much as life may seems to be a rat race I’ll never win, I do have some control.

I guess it’s a glass half-full situation.

Truth be told, you really don’t have to go into work. Shoot, it worked for Peter in ‘Office Space.’ But I don’t see myself dating Jennifer Anniston anytime soon. So I’ll just take some solace in the fact that I do still have some control, no matter how infinitesimal, over my existence.

I am OK with that…If you can’t enjoy the little things in life, the big ones are real let downs.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Welcome to the world of the pointless rat race, soon you'll be contemplating going to work in your bathrobe.

alyssa said...

Wow, if only Daryl curbed "the zone" to an hour every morning... That's not bad, JR. It's when the zone becomes a 2.5 hour process every morning that you need to worry:)